Skip to main content

Average Ranking Position

As I mentioned in my post earlier today, I've pulled together an Average Ranking Position spreadsheet that is based on 12 Top 100 rankings that I retrieved from a variety of sources (listed below). ADP is great but I'm also interested in where "experts" on average place players in their rankings. I tried to ensure that each ranking I looked at used the same scoring system, though many of them didn't mention the scoring that they based their ranking on, so I assumed they used a standard scoring system. I'm also banking on the fact that some of the slight but important differences (4 vs 6 points for TDs thrown; 1 point per 20 vs 25 yards receiving) may even out across the averaging. So I recommend using this as a supplemental drafting tool if you're in need. And who isn't looking for more info, really?

For the full spreadsheet of the Top 120 players, click here. I've divided it up into the various steps I took to average each ranking and have also included an average ranking by position (RB, WR, QB, TE, and a few defenses) on the final worksheet. For those who are really interested, many of the calculations had to be done in Excel and transferred over to Google Spreadsheets since Google's capabilities are a little more limited.

Another important item to note - the rankings I used are updated as of July 31. Many training camp injuries/issues were not reflected yet in some of the rankings (like Frank Gore and Warrick Dunn). So consider this a pre-camp ranking. I will update the list in a few weeks when the regular season gets closer. Also, I removed Michael Vick from all rankings that he was still included in; I also removed any player who only received one vote/ranking across all of the 12 rankings. Players who received no ranking from an expert were given a ranking of 125 for purposes of averaging.

Below is the Top 30 ranking with the Average Ranking Position listed after the players name. For more, see the full spreadsheet.
  1. LaDainian Tomlinson 1
  2. Steven Jackson 2.154
  3. Larry Johnson 3.077
  4. Frank Gore 4.692
  5. Shaun Alexander 6.000
  6. Brian Westbrook 6.846
  7. Joseph Addai 7.538
  8. Willie Parker 7.769
  9. Peyton Manning 10.077
  10. Rudi Johnson 10.077
  11. Laurence Maroney 12.846
  12. Travis Henry 13.692
  13. Reggie Bush 14.000
  14. Willis McGahee 14.462
  15. Steve Smith 15.154
  16. Chad Johnson 16.923
  17. Marvin Harrison 18.769
  18. Ronnie Brown 19.154
  19. Torry Holt 19.154
  20. Clinton Portis 21.154
  21. Terrell Owens 22.6154
  22. Maurice Jones-Drew 22.692
  23. Edgerrin James 24.000
  24. Reggie Wayne 24.231
  25. Cedric Benson 26.231
  26. Thomas Jones 26.231
  27. Larry Fitzgerald 28.154
  28. Carson Palmer 28.6154
  29. Roy Williams 31.6154
  30. Antonio Gates 33.231
Curious about my sources? They were:
Yahoo Sports
FootballGuys.com
FF Toolbox
ESPN
NFL.com
CBS Sportsline
Fox Sports
ProFantasySports.com
Pigskin Addiction
Fantasy Football Xtreme
SI
Ask The Commish
FF Cheatsheets

Comments

Unknown said…
That's cool how you did this.

In regards to your comment. Yes, and no. What I mean by that is if FF owners are serious and can win a good amount of $$, then yes. For novice owners who may only participate in one league with a $20 entry fee, then no.
Unknown said…
$20 is a lot of money to some of us! Librarian, great work on this. Just where do you find the time to accomplish such a feat? I have a feeling you're going to be tough to beat in the bloggers' league this season!
Anonymous said…
Is there any way that you can make something similar with an average of different site's projected stats?
Anonymous said…
According to this list I have 4 players - from my first draft - in the top 30.

I really like your list FFL. :)

-Corey
Corey, willing to share your draft outcome? Or is that like trading secrets with the enemy?

Popular posts from this blog

Labor Day FF links

Happy long weekend! Here's hoping most of you are free to enjoy the 3-day weekend and the relaxation and fun that comes with it. I spent my Sunday participating in 3 fantasy football drafts scattered throughout the day and night, but I think I've finally wrapped up my drafts for the year. So like many of you I'm now turning my attention to the Week 1 games! But before we get to some player rankings and prep for Week 1, I want to make sure that all you experts out there are aware of the upcoming deadline for the annual accuracy contest that I run with the Fantasy Sports Trade Association. I compare preseason positional rankings from experts to the final outcome of the fantasy season to see which site had the most accurate preseason rankings, and this year's deadline is fast approaching: September 9th by kickoff. Check out the info on the FSTA site for more details and be sure to e-mail me your submissions. Now, onto Week 1! First up, let's get to some of this

2010 Week 2 consensus start/sit

Greetings and happy weekend. I've got this week's consensus start/sit for you which is a tally of all the start/sit votes that players received in the various start/sit articles that I linked to earlier in the week. So while these aren't my personal recommendations, I do think knowing what the consensus is could be of help when making lineup decisions...so enjoy! Note: the players are listed in no particular order. QB Start: Michael Vick, Kyle Orton, Matt Ryan, Jason Campbell Sit: David Garrard, Alex Smith, Jay Cutler, Vince Young, Carson Palmer RB Start: LeSean McCoy, Darren McFadden, Ahmad Bradshaw, Brandon Jackson Sit: Tim Hightower, C.J. Spiller, Beanie Wells, Ronnie Brown WR Start: Santana Moss, Legedu Naanee, Malcolm Floyd, Mike Williams (TB), Dez Bryant Sit: Randy Moss, Michael Crabtree TE Start: Chris Cooley, Todd Heap, John Carlson, Jermichael Finley Sit: Jermaine Gresham, Owen Daniels, Tony Scheffler, Jeremy Shockey, Bo Scaife Kicker Start: La

Start/Sit Week 4 and a smattering of rankings

It's been awhile, my fantasy football friends. I have lofty intentions of getting several posts up here each week, but life is busy and I will do my best. So in the intervening 6 years since I've posted regularly on here, our family added another child (now there are 3!), moved back to Boulder for a sabbatical year and then returned to Knoxville, and we have basically been chugging along like many of the rest of you. My two boys (who turn 12 and 9 soon) are in a fantasy football league for the first time this year with their buddies, which ostensibly is the just the dads (and mom!) playing one another of course. But my oldest is taking it super seriously and what kind of Fantasy Football Librarian would I be if I didn't step up my game for him? So I'm back - and am interested in the fantasy landscape - lots of the same awesome sites out there, but many new ones as well. I'll try to incorporate a mix. Please be sure to let me know if my 2006 ways aren't working i